Wednesday, December 7, 2011

A Child Called "It" by Dave Pelzer


A Child Called “It”: One Child’s Courage to Survive by Dave Pelzer

            “Smack! Mother hits me in the face and I topple to the floor.  I know better than to stand there and take the hit.  I learned the hard way that she takes that as an act of defiance, which means more hits, or worst of all, no food.”

                                                                               -Pg. 1 of A Child Called “It” by Dave Pelzer

            Do you ever feel that you have a tough life?  Try living the life of a young Dave Pelzer.  His life started as normal, a loving mother, father, and two brothers.  However, his mother underwent a sudden transformation.  She started yelling at him constantly.  David would receive punishments for different things while his brothers sat idly by, in order to stay clear of their mother’s wrath.
            Then worse came to worst.  David’s mother upped the ante when she would stop giving meals to David.  She even beat him at times.  When at home alone with David, she would give him unbearable tasks.  It’s a wonder that David managed to survive his mother’s constant rage.  The question is will David ever be delivered from his horrid life?
            A Child Called “It” brought tears to my eyes a countless number of times in the book.  It’s written in first person so you can really connect to it.  David describes all his feelings throughout his trials and succeeded at making the reader feel exactly what he felt while going through his childhood.
           I’ve read this book quite a few times, ranging from when I was in third grade to just a few weeks ago, so you can tell that it is both really good and okay to read for all ages.  You should definitely put this book on your reading list because I give it five out of five stars.

2 comments:

  1. It might sound bad, but I love this post. I have also read this book, and I think you did a great job describing the book. If I hadn't already read the book, this post would make me read it. You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a powerful story of abuse. It is disturbing and sad. I recommend anyone who likes this story, read "To Whom It May Concern: a memoir of a foster child". It is a sweet journey of a little girl growing up in a broken foster care system and will melt your heart!

    ReplyDelete

Followers